Tuesday 16 August 2011

Cut Steel

Back in June I talked about cut steel decoration in relation to an antique belt I bought featuring what I believe to be cut steel. The decorative technique was prolific in the Victorian era, featuring small, faceted studs of steel intended to mimic diamonds (similar, but not to be confused with marcasite). To say the Victorians loved a bit of cut steel is an understatement; they put it on bloody everything, not just jewellery. If you want to read more about Victorian cut steel, there is a good eBay guide here explaining the difference between true Victorian cut steel and 'fake' moulded cut steel. If reading isn't your thing, then enjoy looking at the pretty selection of cut steel I found.................

~~~~~~


~~~~~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~



~~~~~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~



~~~~~~


~~~~~~

~~~~~~


~~~~~~

~~~~~~


~~~~~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~

~~~~~~


4 comments:

Playteaux said...

I want to thank you so much for linking me to your blog. I just started my vintage jewelry site in July 2011 so it is still a work in progress. I have over 100,000 pieces and hope to have about 4000 on the site by December. Again, thank you and your blog looks wonderful!

Sincerely,
Michelle
playteaux.com

lyrebirdgully said...

Hi Ms HOH! those cut steel pieces are gorgeous. You may be interested to see another cut steel piece which I was looking at the other day: watch the brief linked video, the sparkle factor in action has to be seen to be believed.
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.com/2011/08/tiara-thursday-cut-steel-tiara.html#disqus_thread

Erika Price said...

These pieces are really gorgeous - thanks for sharing :)

adidas nmd said...

fitflops sale clearance
air jordan
true religion jeans
hermes belt
michael kors outlet store
adidas tubular shadow
patriots jersey
hogan outlet
nmd
jordan shoes

Related Posts with Thumbnails