Friday 13 March 2009

Feeling Surreal


Dolce & Gabbana isn't a label I'd normally draw inspiration from. Sure, they have in the past piqued my interest with certain items, but I'm not exactly a fan. I guess one way I can relate to their work is that both Dolce & Gabbana and I don't exactly follow the 'less is more' ethos. They sure like to create a visual feast in their outfits, and so do I. Their fall 09 collection was on the whole rather good, and I found myself coveting several pieces. The collection was purportedly inspired by Elsa Shiaparelli and her surrealist glamour. This was best demonstrated in the accessories, with amazing shoes and bags. Oh...and pairs of gloves attached to the head, waist and neckline. 





images from style.com

So, in homage to the collection, I tried my very own watered down version of the looks presented. One of the main features of the collection is glaringly obvious: the big round shoulder. Whilst I may not quite be able to reach the epic catwalk proportions, this top of mine is a good start. I've had it years and years, and haven't worn it in, well, years and years. Many of the outfits were black and white, and many featured polka dots....hence the choice of skirt and shoes. Finally, gold necklaces were needed. Lots of them. There was also some turquoise thrown into the mix (on Elsa Sylvan, top left on the first photo)...so I wore some too. Anyway, I'm waffling. Looking back at the photos, I get more of a Frida Kahlo vibe than Shiaparelli.....or maybe thats just me?   



Shoes (Viktor + Rolf), bag (Vivienne Westwood), fur stole (M&S), top (?), skirt (Hurwundeki), belt (Topshop)



2 comments:

What is Reality Anyway? said...

im in love with your style! i love the originals out there! xx

harps said...

Thankyou, that means a lot, especially coming from such a prolific blogger as yourself! I'm actually slightly embarrassed of you seeing my lowly blog compared to your rather professional one, but hey, its all fun! xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails