Friday 6 February 2009

Frightfully sorry old chaps

Haven't posted in a while, for which I apologize. I have rather unfortunately been unwell, to such an extent that I can barely get dressed, let alone photograph, upload, write commentary...etc.etc. For now I'll leave you with something quite interesting to think about, and perhaps later I'll put up some pretty pictures from Couture week. Ever heard of Laver's Law? I hadn't either until recently. It's basically a timeline of style, developed by James Laver, and is actually quite amusing. 

Indecent - 10 years before its time
Shameless - 5 years before
Daring - 1 year before
Smart-  present time
Dowdy - 1 year after its time
Hideous - 10 years after
Ridiculous - 20 years after
Amusing - 30 years after
Quaint - 50 years after
Charming - 70 years after
Romantic - 100 years after
Beautiful - 150 years after its time   

So, according to this, in 40 years time, the fashions of the 1980's will be regarded as 'charming'. Following this line of thought, when I'm in my 60's, I could be wearing leggings, shoulder pads and big hair, in a bid to look charming. I can't wait. On a side note, James Laver had one of the most amazing jobs ever, being the Keeper of the Robes at the V&A Museum. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails